UMEÅ UNI LIBRARY
Re-designing a university library website
Time: 4 weeks
Group: Lars Sundelin, Erico Branco, Cathy Liu
Collaboration: Umeå University Library, Umeå Institute of Design
Project type: Interaction/ UX/ UI
Contribution: Design research, concepts, graphics design, video editing
Main focus: User-experience design
This project aimed to improve the Umeå University library website interface by simplifying the website layout and increasing interaction elements. The project was developed in two directions, the current and future concept.
A user-experience research was conducted with the website users, e.g. librarians and students.
They indicated the following problems of the website:
- Too many words on the website
- Only the search bar function was used
- Users were not aware with the updates from the library
- Users cannot find the books which were shown as 'available' on the website
INTERVIEW WITH BOTH STUDENTS AND STAFF
Create wireframe for the new library website interface.
UMEÅ UNIVERSITY LIBRARY WEBSITE INTERFACE
The new website interface was specifically designed to tackle the identified problems. It aimed to increase the usage frequency and effectiveness of the overall user experience.
Highlights of the new website interface:
- Increase the use of image in the overall website
- Re-arrange other function section on the website homepage e.g. “Recommendation by our librarians” and “Event updates”
- Feature the library and campus update on the homepage and headlines
- Implement the use of icons in the website for better comprehensive purpose